Note: InvertebrateIreland aims to put online all checklists of Irish invertebrates compiled by acknowledged experts.
Terrestrial and Freshwater Non-insect invertebrates
In 2010, as part of the initiative to review the State of Knowledge on Ireland’s Biological Diversity the National Biodiversity Data Centre produced an inventory of sources of biodiversity data. The inventory was developed by inviting recognised national experts to identify the state of knowledge.
Number of non-insect invertebrate species
Primary sources of distribution data
- Arachnids: The Gibson Spider Collection*
- Arachnids: The County Distribution of Irish Spiders (Van Helsdingen, 1996)
- Arachnids: Harvestmen of Ireland*
- Arachnids: Pseudoscorpions of Ireland*
- Arachnids: Spiders of Ireland*
- Bryozoa: Freshwater Bryozoa (Smyth, 1994)
- Crustacea: Hypogean Crustacea of Ireland*
- Crustacea: Survey of the native freshwater opossum shrimp in Ireland*
- Crustacea: Irish National Crayfish Database*
- Flatworms: Planarians (Anderson, 1986)
- Flatworms: Irish New Zealand Flatworm Database*
- Hexapoda: Irish Collembola records*
- Lice: Butler & O’Connor, 1994
- Littoral Macroinvertebrate: Littoral Macroinvertebrate data from Irish lakes*- Environmental Protection Agency
- Mollusca: All-Ireland non-Marine Molluscan Database*
- Myripoda: Millipedes of Ireland*
- Myripoda: Centipedes of Ireland*
- Oligochaetes: Earthworms of Ireland Database
- Oligochaetes: CréBeo earthworm records 2006/7 (University College Dublin)
- Oligochaetes: Freshwater Oligochaeta (Trodd et al., 2005)
- Ticks: Martyn, 1988
- Woodlice (Doogue & Harding, 1982)
*Databases held by the National Biodiversity Data Centre and made accessible through Biodiversity Maps
National conservation assessment
- Article 17 reporting – seven species listed in EU Habitats Directive: NPWS, 2013. The Status of EU Protected Habitats and Species in Ireland – Species Assessments, Volume 3, Version 1.0. National Parks and Wildlife Service, Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Dublin. Ireland.
- Article 17 reporting – seven species listed in EU Habitats Directive: NPWS, 2008. The status of EU Protected Habitats and Species in Ireland. NPWS, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Dublin.
- Byrne, A., Moorkens, E.A., Anderson, R., Kileen, I.J. and Regan, E.C., 2009. Ireland Red List No. 2 – Non-Marine Molluscs. National Parks and Wildlife Service, Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Dublin, Ireland.
No national conservation assessment of other species
Monitoring or repeat surveys in place
- The seven non-insect invertebrates listed in the EU Habitats Directive are monitored by the National Parks and Wildlife Service: Austropotamobius pallipes, Geomaculosus maculosus, Margaritifera margaritifera, M. durrovensis, Vertigo angustior, V. geyeri, and V. moulinsiana.